|HOW MUCH THINGS COST IN 1971
- CHARGER SUPER BEE $3271.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas 40 cents
- Average Cost of new house $25,250.00
- Average Income per year $10,600.00
- Average Monthly Rent $150.00
- United States postage Stamp 8 cents
- Movie Ticket $1.50
|MUSIC HIGHLITS of 1971
- The Beatles officially confirm the long-circulating rumor that they are separating permanently to pursue individual careers. The split is attributed to both musical and managerial differences.
- The Rolling Stones release their first single on their new label, Rolling Stones Records, "Brown Sugar." It goes to number one on the charts.
- Rod Stewart, after leaving the Faces, has his first major hit single when "Maggie May" rises to number one.
- In November, Don McLean releases the album American Pie, whose title single catapults him to worldwide fame.
- Alice Cooper emerges as the leading exponent of theatrical "shock rock." Rock'n'roll begins to fragment into many different styles: "Latin rock," "jazz rock," "soul rock," and "religious rock," to name a few.
- Simon & Garfunkel announce that they are separating to pursue individual careers.
- The U.S. Jaycees present an award to Elvis Presley, citing him as one of the 10 outstanding young men in America.
|THE TOP 10 SINGLES of 1971:
- Joy To The World - Three Dog Night (First chart appearance: 3/27/71; Highest position: #1)
- It's Too Late - Carole King (5/22/71; #1)
- How Do You Mend A Broken Heart - Bee Gees (7/3/71; #1)
- Indian Reservation - The Raiders (5/29/71; #1)
- One Bad Apple - The Osmonds (1/23/71; #1)
- Go Away Little Girl - Donny Osmond (8/21/71; #1)
- Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - The Temptations (2/20/71; #1)
- Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver with Fat City (6/26/71; #2)
- Maggie May - Rod Stewart (8/28/71; #1)
- Knock Three Times - Dawn (12/5/70; #1)
|MY PICS FOR SINGLES of 1971:
- Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
- Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
- Imagine - John Lennon
- Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones
- Riders On the Storm - The Doors
- Maggie May - Rod Stewart
- Roundabout - Yes
|THE TOP 10 ALBUMS of 1971:
- All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
- Chicago III - Chicago
- Close To You - Carpenters
- Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
- Greatest Hits - Sly & The Family Stone
- Jesus Christ Superstar - Soundtrack
- Love Story - Soundtrack
- Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon - James Taylor
- The Partridge Family Album - The Partridge Family
- Pearl - Janis Joplin
|THE TOP 10 MOVIES of 1971:
- Billy Jack
- The French Connection
- Diamonds Are Forever
- Carnal Knowledge
- A Clockwork Orange
- Dirty Harry
- Harold And Maude
- Play Misty For Me
|THE TOP 10 TV SHOWS of 1971:
- All in the Family
- The Flip Wilson Show
- Marcus Welby, M.D.
- The ABC Movie of the Week
- Sanford and Son
- Funny Face
- Adam 12
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show
|NEWS HIGHLIGHT of 1971:
- The Apollo 15 astronauts explore the moon's surface riding in a battery-operated vehicle known as Lunar Rover.
|SPORTS HIGHLIGHT of 1971:
- The Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Baltimore Orioles 4 games to 3
- The Dallas Cowboys beat the Miami Dolphins 24-3 on January 16, 1972 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans in Super Bowl VI
- The Milwaukee Bucks beat the Baltimore Bullets 4 games to 0
- The Montreal Canadiens beat the Chicago Black Hawks 4 games to 3